Friday, June 27, 2014

How I Got My Agent! (a.k.a. my favorite post ever)


This is something I've been waiting to write for a long time. A very long time. I've always wondered how I would feel while writing it. I assumed I'd be something along the lines of ecstatic.

Turns out that's exactly how I feel. And I'm oh so happy I was right.


To make a long story short, I'm exceedingly ecstatic to announce that I'm now represented by the awesome Lisa Jane Weller of Broadland Literary! Lisa is amazing. I realized very shortly after we started emailing that we're pretty much on the same page about...well, more or less everything. Plus she's one of the nicest people I know. And after we had our call, I was even more sure than I was while we were emailing. I adore her. And I'm so happy that she loves Tearless as much as I do.

I suppose I should tell the longer story. As people tend to want details in these kinds of posts. ;)

So. Back in April, I saw on Twitter that the 2014 edition of The Writer's Voice would be starting soon. I was an alternate on the wonderful Krista Van Dolzer's team in 2013 and had a ton of fun, so I checked it out. It looked like it would be just as awesome this year, and I had a shiny new manuscript that hadn't been entered in any contests yet. So I decided to give it a go.

If you've ever entered one of these kinds of contests, where coaches/mentors choose their favorites from among the entries, you know how stressful they are. All the Twitter stalking and watching and waiting and hoping. It's perfectly safe for you to assume that I was a wreck during the week that the coaches read the entries.


Then it came time for them to pick. And they said they'd start choosing at 10 am on Tuesday. So I was sitting at work on Tuesday, and I happened to notice that it was 9:59 am. And I thought to myself, self, wouldn't it be wonderful if you got picked right at 10 am? If you were the very first? So I refreshed my email. Because how can you not check? Just in case.

And I actually had an email! The amazingly awesome Mónica Bustamante Wagner posted the most phenomenal comment on my entry, saying things about Tearless that very nearly made me cry. Then, that night, the incomparable Brenda Drake also asked me to join her team!


I was on cloud nine, guys. I thought long and hard about it that night. (There wasn't much sleep to be had.) In the end, I chose Mónica. Back when I first started to become active in the online writer community, Mónica was the very first writer to follow me on Twitter. I'm a big believer in things like signs and karma and fate, so I knew which way I had to go.

So we worked on edits and got my entry as shiny and beautiful as it could be. And if I thought the part where the coaches picked was stressful, that was nothing compared to the agent round. But oh, was it worth the stress in the end. Lisa was one of the ninja agents, and my entry caught her eye. She requested the first 100 pages, and I was very happy to send them over. Now, I've had lots of requests out before. So I know the drill. Send it out. Try not to think about it. Because it's probably going to be a while.

Except it wasn't. Five days later, an email pops up in my inbox. Now, you know how when agents are rejecting you, you can usually tell from those few words that show up in the preview? That's what I thought I was looking at. It was the same start to an email I'd gotten many a-time before. So my heart sank as I opened it, sure I was going to have another to add to my stack of rejections.


Except I didn't. That email turned around very quickly. She loved my partial. She wanted the full. She also wanted the first 50 pages of any other completed manuscripts I wanted to share with her, and quick descriptions of anything I was working on. Needless to say, I was bouncy as Tigger the rest of the day. Then she got back to me the next morning to say she was intrigued by my other projects, and would let me know her decision in the next 3-4 weeks.

Insert holding of breath here.

But it wasn't 3-4 weeks. Just under a week later, Lisa's email address popped up in my inbox again. Once again, the short preview tricked me! I was absolutely certain that it was a rejection email, like all the others. So I opened it up and started skimming, looking for the sentence that started with, "Unfortunately..." But then as I was going through it, I didn't see anything that made it seem like she was passing. I was really confused for a few seconds. Then I got the single greatest adrenaline rush of my life.


I scrolled back to the top and started reading it properly. And guys, she gets my book. I know everyone always says that in these types of posts, but man oh man, I really understand what they mean now. Everything she said about Tearless, from what she liked to the edits she suggested, just felt right to me.

Then came The Call! (I'm still calling it The Call even though it was technically on Skype.) I was terrified for the couple of days leading up to it. Like, legit can't eat or sleep terrified. Because talking to people is always terrifying to me, but this was even worse because it mattered. I was sure I'd say something stupid and screw the whole thing up. Even so, I was sitting at my husband's computer five minutes before she was supposed to contact me, just staring at my Skype window and trying to breathe. Then I got the little pop up that she was calling! And I clicked on the thing! And it didn't work!

Naturally.


So Lisa tried to call again. And it connected that time. Only I couldn't hear a thing she was saying. I kinda hope she couldn't hear anything I was saying, either, because when it didn't work a second time, my language may have been a tad strong. Oops. So I decided my husband's computer was pretty much the worst, and made a mad dash for my laptop. Third time's the charm! And guys, I felt totally at ease about seven seconds into the conversation. That's not even an exaggeration. And it wasn't just because of the awesome British accent, either! I know I said it already, but Lisa is seriously one of the nicest people I know. We talked about my books and her agency and plans for submission and everything. And it was perfect. Perfect.

I let the other agents with my stuff know, and gave them two weeks to get back to me. Those two weeks can also be called The Two Weeks of Torture. I saw some agents say on Twitter that one week just isn't enough, so I thought I'd be nice and give them two. Worst decision ever. I do not recommend doing this. Ten days maybe. But for your own sanity, do not go all the way up to fourteen.

But I survived The Two Weeks of Torture. And at the end of all that crazy, I got to send Lisa an email letting her know that I was accepting her offer! Hurray!!! I absolutely can't wait to get started on edits. Lisa is amazing, and I know she'll help me take my manuscript to the next level. This is gonna be awesome, guys. So, so awesome.


Now is the time for the obligatory apology for writing the longest How I Got My Agent post ever. But I write novels for a reason. Being succinct is simply not a skill a possess. Anyway, if you made it this far, thanks for sticking with me. You're the best. 

And if you scrolled down to the bottom just to see who my agent is, ha! I fooled you! I totally put that up at the top.

9 comments:

  1. [insert more WOOOOHOOOO'ing here] I am SO beyond happy for you, dude! I KNEW TEARLESS WAS THE ONE!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose I have to say it eventually, so I might as well get it over with. Ahem. You were right and I was wrong. And I'm really happy it worked out that way! :D

      Delete
  2. Saw our mutual friend Monica RT this on Twitter! I love stories like this. Huge congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Huge congrats! And thanks for sharing your super long story because yes, I do love the read these stories!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great video clips! But more than that I am very excited for you! Congrats!!!!

    ReplyDelete